This last month and a half was filled with countless hours in the van, lots of delicious cake, and fun memories with our families. This post is a novella, so if you just want to see pictures most of them are towards the end.
Venture Camp
Jared went on a scout camp with the young men in our church. The first day they rafted about 20 miles down a river. Then they got their backpacks and hiked 3 miles and camped for the night. The second day they did a 4 mile day hike and played in water falls and ponds for the day. On the 3rd day they did a 10 mile hike in rocky desert terrain. They had to pack all their gear and food so they basically lived on ash cakes, dehydrated food, and oatmeal. Yummy!! The rest of their week included a 21 mile mountain bike ride and then repelling down a cliff. Jared only stayed for the first 3 days, which he was glad that he did not have to do the bike ride or the repelling. I was supposed to pick him up on the 3rd day, so I ventured out in my van with the 3 girls in tow. The directions seemed easy enough; it was only 2 turns off the highway. Thank goodness the directions had the mileage on it because as I was looking for the second turn off I could not find it. I went past the mileage and felt the panic settling in. Kate was screaming because she was hungry and I was on an unfamiliar road in the middle of nowhere and was expected to meet Jared at 5pm. I pulled over nursed Kate then turned around to find this nonexistent road. I droved back and forth looking for it and could not find it. Finally at the verge of tears, I turned down what I thought was the road and it was actually a drive way. I decided I could either cry in my car or ask a stranger for directions. I knocked and rang the doorbell and nobody was answering. Then a kid about 10 years old answered the door and I told him I was lost. He looked at my map and told me exactly how to get to the turn off. I was so grateful for his help. We made it to the correct road and I started down it only to slightly panic because it was extremely rocky and it was dirt and I questioned whether my van could make it 5 miles on the road. But the rocks subsided and then it was fairly decent.
I was so happy when I made it the rendevous point and saw Jared walking towards us. On the ride home he said their water filter broke on the first day and so they were boiling and using iodine tablets for all their drinking water. Not fun. He has a camel pack and he was grateful because then he did not have to see all the floaties in his water. Yuck! Jared had a great time on the trip.
Kayleen and Spencer's Wedding
Kat's littlest sister got married July 2nd so Kat and the girls went to her parent's house for a week. We all had so much fun even if it was extremely busy with wedding preparations. Kenadee and Kinsey loved playing with all their cousins and Kate loved all the extra attention. Kinsey enjoyed collecting the chicken eggs and petting the horses. Kenadee constantly wanted to hold the kittens. And both spent a lot of time on the trampoline.
I spent one day helping my sister KayDee make the display cake for the reception. It was made of styrofoam that we covered with fondant. We had so much fun working together even though we had quite a few frustrating moments with the styrofoam and fondant. KayDee also made all the cakes we ate at the reception. She is so talented and it was truly a labor of love as she spent countless hours baking and frosting the cakes. I wish you all could taste them, yes, there were four different flavors--each one soooo delicious--almond poppy seed, triple chocolate, rasperry and lemon swirl with lemon curd filling, and carrot cake. (Much better than the ash cakes on Jared's campout).
The cake my sister and I madeI also had so much fun with my mom and Kayleen as we decorated the reception area. She had an outdoor reception at a friend's house. It is in a wooded area with wooden walk ways winding throughout, a stream flowing down the middle, suspension bridges towards the tops of the trees, and gazebos placed throughout, absolutely beautiful and peaceful. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures as I was too busy eating cake. Kids love this house because on the other end of the property there is a tree house with a very long home-made slide at the top, a huge barn fitted with rope swings and fireman poles, bouncy swings, zip lines, and animals--a wallaby, pig, goat, dogs, cats, emu, and I am sure lots of other critters roaming around. It is a kids paradise and nerve racking for a worried mother.
Kayleen and Spencer with all her nieces and nephews
All Kat's siblings
Our family (it's not the best, but it will do)Continuing Education
We went to Steamboat Springs for Jared to attend a continuing education conference. Of course I forgot to pack the camera, so you will just have to imagine the beautiful waterfall we hiked to and the cute pictures of the girls in the swimming pool. They had an exhibit hall with lots of vendors who had candy and advertising trinkets on their tables. We got a bag for each girl at one of the vendors and then let them walk around filling it with candy, pens, water bottles, sticky notes, or whatever else they could get. It was like Halloween.
Needless to say our family has been busy all summer long and we love any weekend we have at home. Our garden has been neglected but hopefully we will get some food from it.
Somehow between all the time in the van, Kate figured out how to roll all over and is now almost crawling. She also has her first tooth and has been extremely fussy. I know there has been so much more that has gone on since we last posted anything, but it has all seeped out of my memory. We hope you all enjoy the pictures and the updates.
Kat was eating a popsicle and Kate leaned over to get a taste




Wow! What a crazy and fun summer! --except the getting lost part. I had a similar experience recently while going to pick up Elliott after he and Ralph Spencer had done a preview of the trail that the Young Men are doing for their 50-miler. I was supposed to pick Elliott up in a VERY random, middle of nowhere, location. I was shocked that I actually found it and was early...but, they were not. They were on Ralph's ATVs and Ralph crashed twice--rolling down two different hills--one of the times the ATV rolled over him. He MIRACULOUSLY was okay, but was VERY bloody and had ripped pants. (Ellee was a little nervous to look at him.) It was so scary! Those 2 hours of sitting in the HOT car with the girls felt like FOREVER as I waited to hear if he was okay enough to ride out. YIKES! Anyway--I've just written a novel on your blog. Sorry! I need to update my blog with all of our craziness lately. I just haven't had the energy and the will power to sit down and do it. Maybe this week...
ReplyDeleteBytheway--beautiful cake! I wish I had been there to taste-test with you! :)
Fun, fun! Love the update--your girls are sooo cute! Glad you are doing well. We miss you out here!
ReplyDelete